Asparagus season is here! We endured many weather-related ups and downs to get here, but we’ve made it at last. Our favourite spring veggie has burst into season, and we can’t get enough of it! Although my favourite way to enjoy the first asparagus of the year is simply steamed with a dab of butter and sprinkling of salt and pepper, I also love to get creative. On that note, check out these asparagus fries!
They are oven-baked, but still deliciously crispy: a great alternative to traditionally deep-fried fries. The parmesan cheese gives them a wonderful saltiness without needing to add much extra sodium, and asparagus offers some essential vitamins and minerals, too! Did you know that asparagus is a decent source of iron? Now, it’s important to keep in mind that any plant-based source of iron is non-heme, which means that its not as easily absorbed as heme-iron, found in meat, fish, and poultry. However, pairing non-heme iron with Vitamin C helps it be absorb more efficiently. And as I mentioned earlier, asparagus just so happens to offer both! Although I would certainly not recommend relying on asparagus alone for your daily iron requirements (8mg/day for men and 18mg/day for women, ages 19-50), it is a fun little fact.
Finally, top off the recipe with a creamy, garlicky sauce, and I think we’ve got a winner! Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 10 – 12 minutes
Cooking Time: 6
1 bunch asparagus
2/3 cup bread crumbs
2/3 cup parmesan cheese
2/3 cup flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon dried basil
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
Cooking spray (optional)
Garlic Dipping Sauce
¼ cup Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
½ - 1 teaspoon sriracha or other hot sauce
½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Wash asparagus and trim or snap off the ends.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper. Set aside for later.
- Preheat oven to 400⁰F.
- Whisk eggs together and place in a deep dish or shallow bowl.
- Whisk together pepper and flour and place on a plate.
- Whisk together bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, and other herbs and place on a plate.
- Begin to assemble the fries:*
- Rinse asparagus stalk.
- Roll in the flour mixture.
- Roll in the egg mixture.
- Roll in the bread crumb mixture.
- Place coated asparagus stalks on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all asparagus stalks are coated.
- Sprinkle with any extra bread crumb mixture, then spray generously with cooking spray (optional, but gives increased crispiness!).
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 – 12 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- While the fries are baking, prepare the dipping sauce by whisking together all ingredients.
- Once fries are baked, remove from the oven and serve with the dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Recipe created by Alex Chesney, RD